PRESS RELEASE ON THE SUMMARY OF THE SACRED SYNTHODE OF THE UOC (POC)
On June 24, 2019, at the Metropolitan Historical House on the territory of St. Sophia of Kyiv, the regular meeting of the Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Orthodox Church of Ukraine) took place. All members of the Synod except the Honorary Patriarch Filaret (for no good reason) and the Archbishop of Donetsk and Mariupol Sergius (for good reason) attended the meeting.
The Holy Synod had discussions on the meeting of three bishops, a small number of clergymen and laymen, which took place on June 20, 2019 at the Volodymyr Cathedral in Kyiv.
As a result of the discussion, the following decisions were made:
- In connection with the failure of the Honorary Patriarch Filaret to receive a one-month preliminary ruling from the Holy Synod regarding the filing of documents of the Kyiv Diocese for registration, taking into account the numerous requests of parishes and monasteries of Kyiv to the Primate, His Beatitude Metropolitan of Kiev and Enipathos direct subordination, as is the case with canonical rules - to cancel item 4 of Journal # 1 of the meeting of the Holy Synod of February 5, 2019 and to subordinate the Metropolitan of Kyiv and all Ukraine, as their direct diocesan bishop, all parishes and monasteries of Kyiv, which until December 15, 2018 were part of the UOC of the Kiev Patriarchate and according to the decision of the Local Council of the UOC of the Kyiv Patriarchate (December 15, 2018) and the United Cathedral (December 15, 2018) is part of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine.
- For active participation in actions aimed at disturbing the confrontation in the church environment, conscious opposition to the cathedral decisions, violation of the Apostolic Rule 34, participation in the implementation of ordinances in another diocese contrary to the Statute and canonical rules - Reverend Joasaph (Shibaevsky, Obygotsky Obygotsky) Peter (Moskalev), Bishop of Valuy, Vicar of the Diocese of Belgorod, should be expelled from the bishopric of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine on June 24, 2019.
- Archimandrite Andriy (Marutsak) and Hieromonks Illya (Zelensky), banned from the clergy, may apply to the Holy Synod in writing within one month to petition the Epiphany, the Metropolitan of Kyiv and all Ukraine, for consideration of their cases.
- To determine that the adoption of ordinances by clergymen without being elected by the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine is the ground for a categorical refusal to grant their possible requests to be accepted into the bishopric of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine in the future.
- Determine that solemnly convened and conducted by the Honorary Patriarch Filaret on June 20, 2019 at the Volodymyr Cathedral of Kyiv, the assembly of the invited persons did not have any authority to make decisions, in particular concerning the decisions of the Local Patriarchate of the UOC Kyiv Patriarchate (December 15, 2018). in accordance with the Charter of the UOC KP, immediately upon signature by the Presidium of the Council, headed by Patriarch of Kyiv and all Rus-Ukraine Filaret entered into force.
Given the above, but also taking into account the special merits of the past in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, to state that the Honorable Patriarch Filaret remains a part of the bishopric of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine, but has lost the canonical rights and responsibilities associated with the administration of the diocese.
The Honorable Patriarch Filaret may, through a letter addressed to the Bishop, the Blessed Metropolitan of Kyiv and all Ukraine Epiphany, appeal to the Holy Synod for a conciliar consideration of his future position in the Orthodox Church of Ukraine.
- To certify that all the completeness of the UOC of the Kyiv Patriarchate, as well as the entire completeness of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church according to the decisions of its Local Councils on December 15, 2018 and the Unification Council (December 15, 2018), have united into a single Local Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which is the sole historical, canonical and legal heir and successor of their activities. No decisions, orders or other documents issued on behalf of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kiev Patriarchate or under the name of its statutory bodies after the legal registration of the Kyiv Metropolitanate of the UOC (PCU) on January 30, 2019, are of canonical and legal validity are enforceable.
A number of decisions were also made:
- Establish a Synodal Sunday Schools and Catechism Directorate, appointed by Archimandrite Makarius (Papish), Viceroy of St. Feodosius Stauropegic Monastery in Kyiv.
- Implementing the decision of the Holy and Great Council of the Orthodox Church (Crete, 2016) to actively support environmental initiatives and establish a prayer day on September 1 for environmental protection, set in the Orthodox Church of Ukraine on the Sunday after September 1 as the Day of Nature Prayer for Environmental Protection environment.
- To hold July 27-28, 2019, church-wide celebrations of the 1031th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus-Ukraine:
- July 27 in the evening - Vigil at the St. Michael's Cathedral in Kyiv;
- July 28 in the morning - Divine Liturgy in the Church of St. Mary (Warm), the procession to the monument of St. equal to the apostolic book. Vladimir and the prayer service.
A report was also heard on the visit of His Beatitude Metropolitan Epiphany to the Ecumenical Patriarchate on June 10-12, 2019, as well as changes to the status and name of the monastery in the Volodymyr-Volyn Diocese.